Saturday, June 30, 2007

Village Life

Dorm-style training with all the volunteers was short lived, but fun.
:) Currently I'm living in a village called Ha Soole outside Maseru.
There is no electricity and no plumbing -- which is not bad so far considering it's winter.

I'm living with my host family, the Mofoti Family, here in Ha Soole. Our host families name us when we arrive. My Sesotho name is Karabo which means 'answer' in Sesotho. I like it because it's pretty easy to say and there's no Q in it. Q = click, which I can't do YET. I live in a room attached to my 'Me's room ('Me = mother). Her name is 'Me Mamothepu. I'm pretty sure she's the same age as my real mom (hi mom!) but she looks much older. She does a lot of work around the house all day long. She's pretty funny though. Our ntate (father) died in 2005 -- I haven't asked why. I have 3 ausis (sisters), 2 of which I hang out with all the time -- Puleng (13) and Bohlokoa (7). Lucky for me they speak a lot of English. Also lucky for me the Mofoti family is huge so my friend Jen, another Peace Corps volunteer, lives right next door.

Training is overwhelming and annoying, but necessary. I'm pretty exhausted all the time. I'm slowly but surely picking up Sesotho and learning phrases so I can talk to my 'Me who doesn't speak English. Jen and I walk about a mile to school every day with a small army of Basotho children. We are learning all about the Basotho culture as well -- i.e. greeting literally every person you cross paths with. I say "Lumela!" or "Lumelang!" about a million times a day. That might end up driving me crazy. :)

So far my 'Me does everthing for me: boil water, cook, etc. More details after next week when I start doing everything for myself.

P.S. Pee bucket is in full use, and I love it! (except when I dropped it -- that sucked)

--
Christina Balch

7 comments:

Sista Sista said...

Oh My Gosh!! You are crazy sista but I love you to pieces. You are so brave and I look up to you soo much!

Unknown said...

Teen!! Man it sounds like soooooo much fun and wowkinda hits me when you talk about all the things that you do from day to day. Hope your having fun with your "sisters"! Dont you ever relace me! Haha ya right. I LOVE YOU and miss you!!

Grammy said...

Hi Christina! This is the first time I've read your blog and it sounds very interesting and confusing. I don't think I could learn all the things you're learning. The Peace Corps is for the younger generation. HA! Glad you are with a nice family and they are taking care of you. I think of you and pray for you every night. Sjakk, Annie and Mirjam are here now from Holland. We miss you!

VJ said...

TEEN! I can't believe you've been gone a month already. I miss you lots, pal, and hope your family likes your cloud pants. Any special requests for new music to send to you?

Jess said...

haha you dropped the pee bucket! gross!! every time you say "my me" it sounds like you are trying to say "mommy" but getting it wrong. :) i wish you could blog more, i iove reading them! if there is no electricity, how the heck are you staying warm if it's winter? i'm glad you have long sleeve shirts and jackets.is there any way we'll be able to see pictures, maybe in a few months? i'm dying to see what your family/town/other volunteers look like, not to mention your pretty face. love you!

gbalch said...

Hey daughter. Looks like you got to meet Chuck Haupt anyway. Just saw your pic with him on his blog site. Our first pic of you from Lesotho. You look pretty good(the usually total photogenic pic). Chuck mentions you in his blog, but not by name. I continue to read about Lesotho and hope your first month has been full of surprises and new friends. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Love you and miss you lots.
DAD

Topher said...

Dude...Karabo means TUNA!! They don't know what they are talking about. haha.

Sounds like you are having a good time. Miss having you around. No one calls me Tofu anymore.. :(

Tofu :)