Saturday, June 23, 2007

Lumelang!

Lumelang, bo-'me le bo-ntate! (doo-MAY-lang) (hello, ladies and gentlemen!)

I am in Lesotho finally after a 15 hour plane ride, losing 2 bags at the airport, waiting for 6 hours at the airport, and then taking a bus for 6 hours to Maseru. It was a long day to say the least. We started classes on Monday at our training site, and tomorrow I leave for a village to stay with my new host family during Training for the next couple months.

There are 20 volunteers in my group, 16 girls and 4 guys. Everyone is awesome so far, and we're having fun. I've been learning about all kinds of things this week from Sesotho lessons to how to bathe in a basin (yup bucket bathing -- i have a pee bucket too!). I'll let you know how that goes in the next couple weeks. Wish me luck. :)

I promise next week I will write something out before I go to the internet cafe so it will be a longer, more detailed post. I miss you all! Ask my parents or Mike Bohley for my address if you want to write me a letter...

Salang hantle! (Stay Well)

5 comments:

carolyn said...

rea u lebohela, dawth!!!
did you get your bags back? i'm so glad you're finally over there & that you're surrounded by wonderful like-minded amazing people. not that you'll have tons of time to watch videos online, but this one is the funniest things i've seen in a long time. you may have already seen it, but just in case:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74

anyway... i love you & i can't wait to see pictures of your new home! please be safe & have a blast. you are such an inspiration to all of us. take care!!!

kgotso,
dawth

p.s. try not to confuse your pee bucket with your bath bucket. :)

Unknown said...

TEEN!!! Send me pics! I miss u sooo much!! Wow...you have to pee in a bucket...weird! I am going to send you some stuff soon!! O ya and slow boat!! Love you tons!!

Unknown said...

O ya i forgot!! Karate chop!!!

Sista Sista said...

Oh my gosh Teen! That sounds like a looong trip but I'm glad to hear you made it safe and sound. It sounds like you are learning lots of interesting things! I miss you so much. It's kinda wierd not having my big sister around. I'm totally driving your car around. George decided to yank my emergency brake off! (Ya, I'm serious) Anyway, Talk to you soon. Love you tons!

afeks said...

Sounds to me like your trip is starting out just like it should. Your adventures should be great!!