Tuesday, June 12, 2007

In DC... I leave Thursday!


I am currently in DC with my Training Group as we go through Staging. Today was the first day, and I have already made some wonderful new friends. My Training Group consists of about 18 people, only 3 of which are male. No sausage-fest here, haha! It's still very overwhelming but more exciting now that I'm almost there and done with the anxiety of packing and saying good-bye to loved ones (which was much harder than I expected).

I wanted to share my new favorite quote with everyone. It's a common phrase in the book I'm currently reading titled "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" by Tom Robbins (my new favorite author):

"The international situation is desparate as usual."

Short but powerful. It seems kind of serious out of context, but in the book it's more of a humorous phrase used often when referring to people's small talk. I think it's very relevant because it comments on a usually very serious topic with some sarcasm. I expect I will have to maintain my sense of humor and even sarcasm to endure the devastation that I will witness in a third world country. Also I like it because it states the obvious -- there will always be desparation and poverty, at least in my lifetime, no matter what I do or anyone does.

On a similar note, I feel the need to explain why I wanted to join the Peace Corps in the first place. It seems that everyone thinks I'm off to save the world and fight HIV -- that's not necessarily my intention. I'm joining the Peace Corps in order to submerge myself in a new culture and totally new experience. I've been living in the wealthiest nation in the world my entire life , and I'd like to experience life and struggles in one of the poorest countries in the world as well. Peace Corps allows me to do that -- and with government money! Yay! :) And while I don't expect to save the world (because the international situation will always be desperate as usual), I hope I can help some people while I'm there.

7 comments:

Michael Oliver said...

I'm glad all those tax dollars that come out of my paycheck are going to something useful! Have fun, be safe. Take care.

-Michael O

Unknown said...

Ya, that's right! That's my big sister! Miss you already Teen. By the way, you rock my socks off!!! Love you! (Ps... This is Lauren using sarah's account)

carolyn said...

yay tom robbins! yay chris! i'm so glad you're having a good time & meeting some cool folks. can't wait for the next post! love love love you. -dawth-

Mike Bohley said...

be safe baby!

Unknown said...

Teen im so happy for you and I hope your having a great time! I miss you!!

kate fred said...

Christina- The international situation is desperate as usual! It just got a whole lot crazier with you up in the mix. I love you and miss you! Do want me to send you anything speacial like pop rocks and coke? Coca cola, not the other. Love you-Kate

Becky* said...

so happy that you have tom robbins to accompany you to africa! can't believe you are gone already