Saturday, August 11, 2007

Qacha's Nek, here I come!

I'm here now at my site writing this blog on paper later to be transferred to "the internet." I got the site I wanted!! I'm in Qacha's Nek working for PSI (Population Services International) and LPPA (Lesotho Planned Parenthood Association). Both PSI and LPPA are international organizations at least as far as their funding and infrastructure are concerned, so I will have the luxury of working in an actual office (at times) and working with educated and accountable people. I live outside of town in my own rondavel with... ELECTRICITY! This came as a surprise to me because I knew I was going to be living in a village, and the vast majority of volunteers do not have electricity. I am so happy to have a light in my house so I can read and draw and get work done at night (like at home!). In the training village where I was living prior to Qacha, it was difficult at night working by candlelight. Also I have cell phone reception in my house! I'm spoiled by Peace Corps Lesotho standards. According to others in Qacha's Nek though, it can be rough living up here in the mountains. The weather is unpredictable--lots of snow in the winter, rain in the summer, and cold temperatures at night. I need to get me some long underwear. :) The other PCVs in Qacha's Nek seem cool too despite the fact that I think they're all from the East Coast. Coastal rivalry is common here among PCVs so I will be representing the Westside by myself in my district. Luckily my fellow Californian Kjessie (surfer babe from NorCal) is relatively close to me--about a 4 hour bus ride plus a boat ride across a river plus a hike over a mountain. According to current volunteers, the first few months at site can be difficult because not only am I getting settled and used to my home, but I'm on "lockdown" meaning I can't leave my district--which for me means I won't be able to see any of my fellow trainees for 3 months because I'm the only new volunteer in Qacha's Nek. Hopefully someone will throw a big party when lockdown is over.
I live on a family compound outside of town with my ntate (host dad) who is almost 90. I know--he's so old, especially for Lesotho. He's awesome. I love him already. I'm sure there will be more on my ntate in another blog...
After discussing my job position with my supervisors at PSI and LPPA, I will be doing a lot of work in the villages mobilizing the communities in Qacha's Nek and informing the villagers of the services provided by PSI and LPPA. In a nutshell, PSI focuses mostly on VCT (Voluntary Counseling and Testing) for HIV; and LPPA offers contraceptives and education for family planning. Although the circumstances are obviously drastically different I'm looking forward to comparing Planned Parenthood in Los Angeles, one of the wealthiest and best-known cities in the world, to Planned Parenthood in Qacha's Nek, the smallest district in a relatively unknown poverty-stricken country in Africa. Because I will be mobilizing villages, it will be crucial to my success here that I learn Sesotho and speak it confidently. Easier said than done--wish me luck!
Since I will be at site for the next 3 months and I'm not sure how reliable internet is in Qacha's Nek, it may be a while until my next blog...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Steenie!
It's mom. i just read your blog and i am wishing you much luck and love in your new endeavor. we were at a party at uncle greg's last night(sunday)for meghan ahern and her fiance, brad and everyone wanted to know how your doing and they all send their best wishes from the ahern and liekhus families. i'm sending your package today so i hope you get it soon. i love you, sweetie and keep you in my prayers always. mom

gbalch said...

Shrimp,
You'll be pleased to know that if you look up Qacha's Nek on Google you have made page two of the available links. Your blog has made it, that is.
I've started to read up on the area and it sounds very interesting. I'm sure you will do well there.
God bless,
Take care of yourself!
Love, DAD

Unknown said...

I hope Qacha's Nek is good...if your there and I hope your 90 year old caregiver(dad) is also good!! Haha Love ya tons!

Unknown said...

I am so excited I found you! I will be leaving Vancouver, BC this Sept. and moving to Qacha's Nek. I will be working with a group of women who call themselves Mohoma Temeng (they are based in Ha Mpiti. I am a 26 year old female. You can check out my blog at http://mohomatemeng.wordpress.com/
I have lots of questions for you.

I guess I will talk to you soon,
Erin

Mike Bohley said...

best of luck, be smart and safe! i will send you the new SP album sometime this week. show those villagers what american muscle is made of