Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tambo Tambulani Tambo

The Tambo Festival was full of rich cultural events and activities. I'm so glad that I flew to Pemba for Tambo's International Arts & Cultural Festival. As I suspected I would, I've met some fun and interesting people from Mozambique, Brazil, and the Netherlands.

Watching and listening to the Afro-Arab Muslim choir was one of the most unique and beautiful musical experiences of my life. It was fascinating. I'm sure I will treasure the videos of this choir for a long time. I also witnessed the Mapiko dance, a tradition of the Makonde tribe that I was particularly interested in seeing. The Makonde tribe is matri-lineal, but the only dancer in the Mapiko dance is a man whose whole body is completely covered except for his hands and feet. A large group of drummers and singers supports the dancer. The rhythm of the drums can be heard throughout the large village. A traditional horn announces the Mapiko group of over 20 people as they parade through the village to the Tambo Cultural Center. The dance lasts for about 20 minutes starting slow and building excitement with quicker drum beats, faster dancing, and additional characters for drama. They performed a handful of times, and I loved every second.

I'm staying at a new friend's place tonight before I head to Johannesburg. More soon!

3 comments:

mbizo chirasha said...

with the look of things this festival isreally international ,saw from christina comments

mbizo chirasha said...

just cancelled my kenyan conference for a interactive cuultural in mozambique ,icant wait

Christina said...

sorry, haven't checked back until now to see these comments. mbizo, hope you enjoyed tambo. i hope to go back again in the near future.
-christina