Thursday, July 17, 2008

Women in Lesotho: Gender Inequality

Many women in sub-Saharan Africa suffer relentlessly due to gender inequality in addition to other major underlying crises like poverty and HIV/AIDS. Unfortunately the gender roles and rituals attached to most African cultures are so strongly ingrained, it's difficult to convince people (including women) that they are unnecessary and even harmful. Gender inequality not only affects individual women, but negatively impacts families, communities, countries, and even national and global economies. In Lesotho girls receive more education than boys, generally, but still they often fall into the gender-specific role of wife and mother after finishing school, stifling their chances at a higher education and/or career. Therefore the husband and father of the family will look for work and pay even though the wife is likely better-equipped to find and hold a job with decent pay. (Note: the unemployment rate in Lesotho is unbelievably high so it is difficult for anyone to find work). Also women with absent husbands (whether he's at the bar, or a mine in South Africa, or a girlfriend's house) end up having to make money on their own somehow to support their families until their husbands return, if they return. Even if a woman is essentially the head of the household, final decisions and power will always go to the man in traditional households in Lesotho, or the husband's family.

Despite these more subtle, deep-seated gender issues in Lesotho's culture, some gender discrimination is more tangible. For example, culturally in Lesotho a married woman is considered the property of her husband. Men justify this action by saying they have paid "lebola," or a bride price, to his wife's family. Under this assumption, women needed their husband's permission to do almost anything (own land, open a bank account, wear pants), and unmarried women needed permission from their father or brother. A married woman could be beaten or raped by her husband, and nobody would ever help her because it was her husband's right.

In recent years Lesotho's government has created laws to protect women from such maltreatment, but they are slow to be implemented. Married women in Lesotho gained equality to men in 2006 under the Legal Capacity of Married Persons Act. Legally now any woman can own land, receive inheritance, and make her own decisions. Prior to 2006, women in Lesotho were considered legal minors. In 2003 women were given more respect and help with the Sexual Offenses Act which officially defined all forms of unwanted sexual penetration as rape, not just vaginal penetration as it was prior to this Act (This also gives legal rights and validity to men who are raped).

I applaud the government (prodded by certain aid organizations) for making these changes, but the reality is Lesotho’s culture still promotes the discrimination these laws are trying to forbid. Nobody in Lesotho knows these laws exist. Also Lesotho has not changed their Constitution to reflect this new standing of women. The government has made no effort to spread this information throughout Lesotho, particularly to rural areas. Many Basotho people strongly hold to their traditional values, keeping women at home in fear of their husbands' retaliation. Women need to know that they have rights, and citizens need to know that they should help promote these rights. Sadly (and pathetically if you ask me) most women still act like second-rate citizens because they are too afraid to break the cycle of abuse. The vast majority of these women are not aware of their legal rights, but still I doubt they would do anything to promote their rights anyway. Like many people, they are afraid of change. However, there are a handful of strong, confident women who are working for women's rights in Lesotho. They don't have a Women's Liberation Movement like we Americans did, but they work hard to help their fellow countrywomen nonetheless. Whether they are a few young women in a rural village in Qacha's Nek or a women lawyers group working with other countries in southern Africa, some women are making a difference and paving the way for the next generation of women in Lesotho.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This article helped me do my assignment on lesotho,s inequality.thanks a million.

chefkaren71 said...

Our Girl Scout Brownie troop is representing Lesotho at the 2012 World Thinking Day events at our local Service Unit. We chose this country since our family recently started sponsoring a girl (the same age as our daughter) through World Vision. It would be great if you could help us learn a bit about girls growing up in Lesotho. We haven't had enough time to receive any letters from our sponsored girl yet. Thanks for your hard work in promoting equality for all.

Unknown said...

Dear Christina, I am dissappointed in the way you look at the situation of women in Lesotho. From this your pespective, anybody who might not have been in Lesotho, unlike me who was born and grew up here, might get the impression that women were so much abused by men in Lesotho. Let me respect you for posting this up so we can get the opportunity to straighten it up. Yes you are correct that in the past, women needed the concent of men to sign up for many of the paper contracts they wanted to enter into. In any case I would tell you that even married men needed the concent of their wives whenever they enter into a loan. However, the idea that rural women or any reasonable number of women were abused by men and that society permitted it,I find that inaccurate, it is not true. Basotho people have the culture of living in peace and harmony with one another, even the traditional structures in the remotest of places would deal very harshly with a man who would be abusive to his wife. Culturally women are highly respected in Lesotho, they are seen by the elders as, bo-mma rona, "our mothers". They are very highly protected by the men in society. Yes just like anywhere in the world, you will find in Lesotho in the past and today, the type of men who have psychologycal problems and are distructive in many ways, including abusing women and children. As I have said, I appriciate highly the fact that you put up this article, and I know you do not mean bad in anyway. Allow me therefore to have contributed in your debate in the same good spirit. I am a woman from Lesotho.
My name is Moipone Phamotse.

Christina said...

'Me Moipone - Thank you for your comment. As I read this post on Gender Inequality 6 years after I wrote it, I agree with you that I have painted an unnecessarily grim picture of women's lives in Lesotho. It's true that legally women do not have as many rights as men in Lesotho (but this is true in America as well). Lesotho's communities and culture protects women in ways that I likely may never understand and definitely did not understand when I was 24 years old and living in Lesotho as a Peace Corps Volunteer. Nonetheless, I now know many powerful, strong Basotho women, and I would write a very different article on Basotho women if I were to write one today. Maybe I will some day... or maybe you should write one. I would value your opinion. Thank you very much for contributing to my blog, and I wish you the best.
Sincerely,
Christina

Anonymous said...

its true there is inequality. culturally men look down on women and their seen as inferior. but on the other hand, there are a lot of women in public office, women politicians and the literacy rate is higher for women than men.
please see my blogs:
lesotho connect
list lesotho
lesotho blog

Dr Purva Pius said...


Hello Everybody, My name is.Mrs.Juliet Quin. I live in Canada and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $ 73,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $ 73,000.00 Canada Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Juliet Quin that refer you to him. Contact Dr Purva Pius via email: reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

Unknown said...

Good Day,

Are you in any kind of financial difficulties? Your help comes now.
Are you having sleepless night worrying how to get a Loan?Don't allow
your dreams to die, or are you looking for whom to trust or having you been scammed by INTERNET fraud stars, or you have been turned down by other financial company contact
JOYCE MYERS LOAN COMPANY today for
easy and reliable loan. Please you are to fill out this form showed
below this email.{{{finance2014911@gmail.com }}}

BORROWERS APPLICANT FORM
Full Names:............
Gender:....................
Marital status:.........
Contact Address:...........
Country:........................
State:..........................
Age:...........................
Monthly Income:..............
Loan Amount:...................
Duration of Loan:............
Date Of Loan Needed:.............
Weekly Income:....................
Occupation:.........................
Purpose for Loan:.................
Phone Number:....................
Personal Phone Number:.........
Fax Number:......................
How Did You Hear About This Company?........

Unknown said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

URGENT LOAN OFFER WHATSAPP +918929509036 said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(creditloan11@gmail.com) Thank you.