Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me...

Lesotho wished me a Happy Birthday with the first signs of winter. Temperatures have dropped drastically, and it even snowed in the mountains last week (while I was in Maseru--ha!). I can even see my breath inside my house at night. I'm officially wearing my mild winter gear which includes: a beanie, scarf, long-sleeve t-shirt, long dress, hoodie, fleece (in morning and night), spandex leggings, light blanket wrapped around my waist (in morning and night), a long dress or skirt, socks, and tennies. In June and July, or harsh winter, I'll graduate to fleece vest, heavy blanket, down jacket, and hiking boots.

Also to prepare for winter I've cut my hair super short. It's something like a boy-cut pixie look that I did myself--I wish I could see my sisters' faces after reading that. Although I've been curious to see what my hair would look like so short, the cut was motivated by the cold weather and lack of plumbing and electricity. The less hair to wash, the less water I have to use and fetch. And of course my long hair took hours to dry, and wet hair really sucks when it's cold--thus the super-short 'do. :)

As a birthday present to myself, I bought two new blankets: one light blanket for wearing, and one heavy blanket for my bed. Already I've received a couple birthday packages and cards in the mail--a big thank you to all my friends and family who thought of me!! I can feel the cross-continental love from here!

p.s. I posted 2 blogs today at the same time. If you want to read about the funeral I attended, read the next blog down too. I didn't want to leave you with two depressing blogs in a row.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

In honor of your birthday I will consume one bottle of wine and a box of cookies. I wouldn't do that for just anyone. Happy B-day Chris!

Sista Sista said...

Haaaaaaappy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to my sista sistaaaaaaaaa!!!! Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuu!!! I hope you enjoy my singing! I so wish I could be there for your bday to help you celebrate!
It was hilarious when I read about your haircut, my jaw dropped. And then i read the next line...yup, my face was probably pretty priceless! Love you Teen!

Mike Bohley said...

happy mother fathering birthday christina!! i hope your meatloaf party works out well and never forget...i...would...do...anyyything...for love............but..........i............wont...........do .........that. best quarter one could spend at the red garter, miss you!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Teen!! I love you...and yes I was surprised about your haircut, but I assumed you would do it sooner or later!

VJ said...

Happy Bday, pal! Missing you :(