Friday, January 11, 2008

Starting Out the New Year

It’s late Friday morning in Qacha’s Nek, and I’m feeling good. November and December were stressful months because I was somewhat homeless and disheveled. Thankfully Peace Corps paid for a hotel stay, and when I didn’t want to eat hotel food Adam let me sleep on his floor and eat his food. I’m finally settling into my new home. When I first returned to Qacha’s Nek after vacation (more on that later), my family was still away on holiday. I was at my new home by myself and the anti-malaria meds gave me nightmares and paranoia so the first week was rough—I didn’t sleep much. My next door neighbors have been great though and made sure I was comfortable and safe. My ausi (sister) returned home yesterday so now my home feels like a home. My ausi is a young teacher who is still attending school (a sort of long distance college education from South Africa), and says I will have to help her with her studies. I told her I will do my best. I still have to meet many of my new neighbors and establish myself in my community, but so far I’m happy in my new home.

I was not putting in many hours at work during the move in November, and I spent a lot of time in Maseru and on vacation in December. The New Year for me marks a new beginning in Qacha’s Nek, not only because of my new home but I will be returning to work fully with some new ideas and energy. School re-opens at the end of January, and in February my counterpart at LPPA and I will begin giving presentations to high school students about reproductive health and their bodies. I will also be speaking to the prisoners in small groups at the Qacha’s Nek Correctional Facility; we will discuss HIV/AIDS at first, and then hopefully they will tell me what they want to learn about. PSI/Lesotho Headquarters has asked me to paint a mural in Maseru, hopefully the first of many—I’m looking forward to that.

Next week I will be back in Maseru for a Peace Corps Conference, then back to work in Qacha.

VACATION:My South African vacation was awesome. I spent almost every day at the beach, and almost every night at the bar. The bartenders at our backpackers hostel were fun and let us pick our favorite music. I don’t think I’ve ever danced so much in one week. I really enjoyed driving our little rental car too. Although disorienting at first, I soon got used to driving on the left side of the road and shifting gears with my left hand—I ended up driving most of the way there and back. We had the windows open and the music on loud—we were free! At the Wild Coast, I almost ran over some little monkeys that were crossing the road. We saw some zebras and ostriches from the road too, and we could see monkeys hanging out in the trees outside our backpacker. We got all dressed up for New Year’s Eve which was fun because most everyone else wore shorts and jeans. I put on make-up for the first time in 6 months. We all had a great time dancing and drinking, but most of New Year’s Day was spent nursing a hangover. Ho lokile (ho lohkeelay: it’s ok), I was still at the beach.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

TEEN!! I miss you and love you tons! I hope you are getting cozy in your new mudhut...hope to talk to you soon!!

Unknown said...

Hey Christina! Just wanted to say hi and let you know you were missed on new years. Glad to hear all is well :)

-mike o

Mike Bohley said...

now be honest, did you get any of those feisty monkeys loaded?

Cindy said...

Hi Christina, we miss you and hope all is well with your new home. It is so great to read about your adventures. Be safe! All our love, Aunt Cindy and family

Sista Sista said...

TEEN!!! I miss you so much! So much has happened since you've been gone and I miss talking to you! It sounds like you're having an amazing time and I'm so proud of you! Way to be freakin' sweet sista!!!

david santos said...

Hi Christina

Excellent post!
Thank you.
have a good day

Jess said...

ok now i know why you're tan...the beach in south africa??! how cool are you!!!

Lee Ann said...

Hi Christina!
Wow! It all sounds magical..... Mountain country with no trees. I can't wait to see pictures. The mural sounds very cool. Where are you going to do it, what kind of materials, and are you doing an interior or exterior mural? Please take lots of pics. I'm so impressed and proud of you!!! I was thinking after talking to your mom tonight that maybe we should start collecting frequent flyer miles so we could collectively send your boyfriend out :-). People can transfer their miles you know.... Let me know what you think. Stay safe! Love from the Marienthals